July 22, 2013

Malaysia 1-4 Chelsea

Malaysia 1-4 Chelsea

Chelsea’s pre-season preparations continued with another victory as they ran out comfortable winners over a Malaysia XI.

The Blues handed goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer a debut with trialist Bertrand Traore also starting alongside new signings Marco van Ginkel and Kevin de Bruyne.

Jose Mourinho’s men dominated the match from the kick-off and took just six minutes to open the scoring in Kuala Lumpur.

De Bruyne burst down the right saw before cutting the ball back for Traore who fired back across goal for the opener.

Belgium international De Bruyne then opened his account for the Blues with a fine strike to double the visitors' lead.

A long ball was flicked on by Lukaku for his countryman to smash home on the volley. Unfortunately for the midfielder, he injured his ankle in the process and played no further part in the game.

The chances continued to come for the Blues, with Traore and Lukaku both looking impressive before the duo combined smartly to add a third right on half-time.


Traore was the creator this time, slipping a neat ball through to Lukaku, who beat the offside trap and took a touch before sliding around goalkeeper Farizal.

The second half saw nine changes for the Blues with only Eden Hazard and Van Ginkel remaining from the starting line-up.

Hazard almost added a fourth just before the hour mark. Victor Moses set up the Belgian with a superb cross but he could only head wide from near the penalty spot.

Perhaps unsurprisingly the pace dropped in the second half, as the humidity took its toll and the Blues made further changes, sending on Lucas Piazon and Josh McEachran.

Malaysia, meanwhile, threatened only on occasion, helped in the second half by a couple of fumbles by Petr Cech, which, fortunately for the Blues, went unpunished.

Demba Ba was the next to go close - a jinking run down the left saw the striker work a shooting opportunity but he could only fire straight at the goalkeeper at his near post.

As the game started to peter out there was still time for more goals, with Moses adding a fourth with just minutes left to play.

The winger made a strong run down the left, before checking back and firing past goalkeeper Farizal, who got a hand to the ball but could not keep it out.

However, Malaysia finally gave their supporters something to cheer about in stoppage time. A free kick fired into the penalty area was not clearly fully by Cech, allowing Shas to head in a consolation from close range.

The hosts almost grabbed a second with the last attack of the game, denied only by a brilliant clearance from Ashley Cole from his own goalline after Cech was beaten.

The win makes it two on the trot for Mourinho, with the Blues next in action on Friday in Jakarta as they take on an Indonesia All Star XI.

No comments: